3 Reasons To Talk To Us Before Trying To Get Workers’ Comp
Following a serious on-the-job injury, your first instinct may be to try to get money through workers’ comp as quickly as possible, especially if you have no paycheck coming in.
However, you may be making a huge mistake if you decide to seek workers’ compensation benefits before speaking with one of our experienced catastrophic injury attorneys — a mistake that can cost you a lot of money.
The truth is, if you seek legal guidance from a New York lawyer who only does workers’ comp, then workers’ compensation benefits is all you will ever receive, even though you may be entitled to so much more, depending on your situation. Simply put, you may be leaving money on the table if you only seek workers’ comp.
In case you need any more convincing, here are three more reasons you should speak with Edelman & Edelman, P.C., before talking to a law firm that focuses solely on workers’ compensation:
- You need to find out if a third-party/labor law claim exists: Many injured workers don’t realize that they may be able to seek damages through third-party claims, which, as its name suggests, arise when injuries are caused by the negligence of third parties such as general contractors, subcontractors, property owners and delivery drivers. New York also has several labor laws — including Section 240, the Scaffolding Law, and Section 241 — that allow injured workers to seek damages outside of workers’ compensation. In many instances, these types of claims can provide significantly more compensation than workers’ comp alone.
- You need to avoid expensive mistakes: If you have a third-party claim in addition to a workers’ comp claim, there are many mistakes you need to avoid. For example, if you decide to take a Section 32 lump-sum workers’ compensation settlement, you may be required to waive future medical care and say that you are okay, which can affect your third-party claim.
- You need to coordinate your workers’ comp and injury claims: In New York, workers’ comp and third-party claims often progress at the same time. Therefore, if we determine that you may have both a workers’ comp and third-party claim, we can refer you to a workers’ compensation lawyer who will work with us to make sure nothing is done that will put your third-party claim at risk.
Want To Know If You Can Sue Outside Of Workers’ Compensation?
Even though not every construction/work-related accident will involve a third-party claim, many do, which is why you should always speak with one of our attorneys before simply seeking workers’ comp.
To schedule your free initial consultation, contact our New York office today by calling 212-235-1197. You can also reach us online. Contacting us may be the wisest decision you make following a serious on-the-job accident.
- Construction Accidents
- Ladder And Scaffolding Injuries
- Falls From Heights
- 3 Things Workers Should Know About New York’s Scaffolding Law
- Crane Accidents
- Aerial Lift Accidents
- Failure To Provide Vertical Passage
- Falling Objects
- Holes And Trenches
- New York Labor Code 241: The Basics
- Power Tools And Electrical Injuries
- Top 4 Causes Of Construction Accidents
- New York Workers’ Compensation Claims
- What Does Workers’ Comp Cover In New York?
- Personal Injury Claim Vs. Workers’ Comp
- Can You Sue Your Employer For Work-Related Injuries?
- 3 Reasons To Talk To A Personal Injury Lawyer Before A Workers’ Comp Attorney
- Construction Accidents Suffered By Undocumented Workers
- Union Worker Construction Accidents
Top 5 Posts
Jun 30, 2020
According to a recent Reuters analysis, the reduction in traffic over the past several months has done its part to reduce car crashes. Unfortunately, in several cities Reuters considered, the percentage of crashes that involved a fatality is up. Here in New York City...
Jun 16, 2020
The New York State Department of Financial Services has filed civil charges against drug maker Endo International Plc for misrepresenting the efficacy and safety of its opioid drugs and for insurance fraud. Endo manufactured 18.4% of the opioids distributed in New...
Jun 9, 2020
Talc, also called “talcum powder” is a naturally occurring mineral. It is widely used in products ranging from baby powder to cosmetics. Unfortunately, talc is mined in the same geologic areas as asbestos, and it may be possible for talc to be contaminated by...
May 22, 2020
This year, New York joins 30 other states and the District of Columbia after the State Assembly passed legislation requiring passengers 16 and older to wear a seat belt in the back seat of automobiles, including ride-sharing vehicles, such as Lyft and Uber. The...
May 21, 2020
After it was revealed that untold thousands of Boy Scouts have been sexually abused by scout leaders and others who had power over them, lawyers from around the country sued the American institution. The national group, Boy Scouts of America (BSA), filed for Chapter...
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Go All In:With every case we accept, we put all of the firm’s resources behind our pursuit of a positive outcome. We are not afraid to spend whatever amount is necessary to present a winning case on your behalf.
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Hire The Best Experts:We do our homework and find the experts who are doing the most cutting-edge research on your type of injury. We regularly work with medical experts, scientists, people from academia and others.
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Know Our Opposition: In our nearly 60 years in business, we have seen all the tactics opposing attorneys uses. We use proven strategies to match them and act swiftly to overcome any attempt to limit your compensation.
CNN Legal Analyst