Top 4 Causes Of Construction-Related Deaths
Working in construction can be very dangerous, especially when you consider all of the hazards these workers must face on a daily basis — ranging from toxic chemicals and live wires to large machinery and poorly erected scaffolding.
However, while you can probably find countless dangers on any given construction site, most construction-related deaths can be attributed to just four causes, which the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has dubbed the “Fatal Four”:
- Falls: Even though the numbers can fluctuate from year to year, falls often account for nearly 40 percent of construction worker deaths annually.
Struck/hit by objects: This is another major contributor to construction worker fatalities and includes instances in which workers are hit by heavy equipment or struck by falling objects.
- Electrocutions: While not as common as the two hazards above, it is still a serious concern for construction workers.
- Caught-between/in accidents: Essentially, these types of accidents involve situations in which workers become trapped or compressed by machinery or objects, or when they are caught or crushed by equipment, materials or collapsing structures.
Even though the lives of literally hundreds of construction workers could be saved every year if these dangers were eliminated, the sad reality is that they probably aren’t going anywhere — especially on construction sites in which contractors and property owners blatantly ignore safety regulations.
What Are My Legal Rights? Is There Anything I Can Do?
If you have suffered a serious injury or a family member has been killed in a construction-related accident, it is important to remember that you may have several legal options available besides workers’ compensation.
However, this process can be quite complex, which is why you should always contact one of the experienced catastrophic injury attorneys at Edelman & Edelman, P.C., before simply seeking workers’ comp. We understand what it takes to maximize your recovery, so call us today at 212-235-1197 to schedule your free consultation. You can also reach us online.
We encourage you to read more about the firm and review the many successes our lawyers have had over the years. Quite simply, you cannot afford to entrust your case to anyone else.
- Construction Accidents
- Ladder And Scaffolding Injuries
- Falls From Heights
- 3 Things Workers Should Know About New York’s Scaffolding Law
- Crane Accidents
- Aerial Lift Accidents
- Failure To Provide Vertical Passage
- Falling Objects
- Holes And Trenches
- New York Labor Code 241: The Basics
- Power Tools And Electrical Injuries
- Top 4 Causes Of Construction Accidents
- New York Workers’ Compensation Claims
- What Does Workers’ Comp Cover In New York?
- Personal Injury Claim Vs. Workers’ Comp
- Can You Sue Your Employer For Work-Related Injuries?
- 3 Reasons To Talk To A Personal Injury Lawyer Before A Workers’ Comp Attorney
- Construction Accidents Suffered By Undocumented Workers
- Union Worker Construction Accidents
Top 5 Posts
Feb 19, 2020
The Boy Scouts of America has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. This process will include setting up a fund for survivors of child sexual abuse by scout leaders and others in the organization. That fund could top $1 billion. In order to find the money...
Feb 7, 2020
According to the NYPD, there were 29 fatal bicycling accidents in New York City in 2019. That’s 19 more than the 10 that were reported in 2018. Now, we’ve seen what is thought to be the first bicycling fatality in 2020, and it happened on the last day of January. 2019...
Feb 6, 2020
There is a major legal battle in the courts currently against pharmaceutical companies that many believe are responsible for the current opioid crisis in the country. The sales tactics and information for Big Pharma in the early 1990s helped to increase the number of...
Feb 3, 2020
When an employee is negligent and hurts someone, there are times when the employer is responsible for their actions. For example, the legal concept of “respondeat superior” says that companies can be held responsible for the actions of their employees. Moreover, some...
Jan 24, 2020
A 67-year-old woman was killed recently when a private sanitation truck struck her. She had been crossing 86th Street near Bay Parkway in Bensonhurst at approximately 4 a.m. The truck did not stop. According to the New York Post, it’s not clear whether the truck...
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Go All In:With every case we accept, we put all of the firm’s resources behind our pursuit of a positive outcome. We are not afraid to spend whatever amount is necessary to present a winning case on your behalf.
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Hire The Best Experts:We do our homework and find the experts who are doing the most cutting-edge research on your type of injury. We regularly work with medical experts, scientists, people from academia and others.
3 Reasons To Hire Us
We Know Our Opposition: In our nearly 60 years in business, we have seen all the tactics opposing attorneys uses. We use proven strategies to match them and act swiftly to overcome any attempt to limit your compensation.
CNN Legal Analyst